Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Squash and Poplano Pepper Quesedilla with Roasted Tomatillo salsa

When I saw this recipe, I was mostly intrigued by the Roasted Tomatillo salsa. I had never tried a tomatillo salsa and even though I saw the little green pods at the markets, I had never tasted the fruit inside.

So, off to the market I went and bought the ingredients. In the meantime, I asked my friends whether they had ever tried the tomatillo sauce. And a good thing it was because I discovered that the raw tomatillo sauce that I had originally seen in the recipe could be a little too tart for some people.



 So, off to the internet I went in search for a roasted tomatillo sauce recipe.
I have to say the result was so good that I have been putting that sauce on everything! Salad, soups, avocado, plain old bread, you name it! It has a fresh, bright, spicy flavor that wakes things up!


 But, it really goes with the squash and poblano quesedilla.
It makes a great appetizer if you are having company and a nice ight dinner if you are just having a family dinner at home.
 Okay, okay, here's the recipe:

1 small/medium acorn squash
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons diced white onion
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 clove garlic, minced
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and cut into strips
Salt and pepper to taste
10-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend of your choice
 Butter for frying quesadillas
Tomatillo Sauce:

1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos or 3 (11-ounce) cans tomatillo
1fresh jalapeno
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
 2 teaspoons coarse salt
    1. Preheat broiler.
    2. If using fresh tomatillos, remove husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness. If using canned tomatillos, drain and measure out 2 cups. Broil chiles, garlic, and fresh tomatillos (do not broil canned) on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes.
    3. Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Purée all ingredients in a blender.
• Salsa can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment