Friday, July 12, 2013

My Father - a Tribute

My dad, Gregory is one of the most loving, nurturing fathers I know. His life would read like a novel. He was born in Cyprus, emigrated to London as a child, survived the blitz, served in the British army and came to America after the war. After moving his family back to Cyprus in the 60's, his life was again marked by war when the Turks invaded Cyprus and chased all the Greek Cypriots away from their homes and lands.

At 40 he found himself with nothing. With four children, some of them college age, he started again from scratch. We returned to America where he worked as a waiter. He and my mom worked and saved and bought another home for the family. All four children graduated college, three of us with graduate and professional degrees.

My father Greg is a man of honor, kindness, loyalty and hard work. He's a great storyteller and I'm always surprised that even after all these years of hearing his stories he occasionally still come up with a new one.

I love you dad,

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment