Wednesday, August 7, 2013

String bean stew heaven!

I've talked before on this blog about my cholesterol-lowering quest. I have recently had the follow-up test and the results are going in the right direction. I'm not yet at an ideal cholesterol place, but I'm glad to know that the change in my diet makes a difference. 


 This recipe is easy, delicious and, as a bonus, has no cholesterol. What more can you ask for? It's a popular Greek dish and my mom used to make it often. String beans are now in season, so go to your local Farmers' Market, pick up some beans and get cooking!
Trim the ends off about 2 lbs. of string beans.

In two tablespoons of olive oil sauté a large chopped onion until translucent. Add a teaspoon of minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds more. Add a 32 oz. can of chopped tomatoes and half a cup of minced parsley. Stir in a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add the string beans and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, add half a cup of olive oil and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the string beans are soft.  





 
Serve warm or at room temperature with some crusty bread and a Greek salad.

 Enjoy!
 
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment