Friday, May 31, 2013

A Day at the Met

I love the Met! www.metmuseum.org. I've spent stolen hours there as a student at nearby Hunter College getting lost in it's vastness. I remember the first time I wandered into the Egyptian wing and discovered the mummies and the sarcophagi. I couldn't believe that these were actually from the tombs of ancient Egypt. Rolls of ancient muslin stood inside the glass cases, waiting for the embalmer to reach in and unravel a length or two for the next fashion victim. The Temple of Dendur still enthralls me.

I remember a room with countless silver pieces glimmering behind display cases. I remember the rich golden wreaths of the "Alexander the Great" exhibit, the vivid crimson and luminous gold of the archangel's cape in the Byzantium exhibit, the ethereal clouds in Tiepolo's paintings.

You could say, I got an education!
 

  
Well, the other day I was back at a Monday at the Met where only three exhibits were available for viewing.
 
"Punk, Chaos to Couture,"  was one of them-check out the photos I sneaked- no photography was allowed! Oops! 
Gown made of black trash bags.




Shopping bag gowns!









 


Horse and Buggy on Central Park South
 
By the time I visited the first two exhibits I was overexposed to art. There's just so much my brain can absorb in a few short hours before blurring at the edges.
 
Therefore, it was time for a New York lunch!
Marea, an Italian restaurant on Central Park South, has been touted as one of the best in the city. After all that culture, I deserved to see for myself! A dozen oysters went perfectly with the chilled Tuscan rose wine, and the raw fluke with dots of Mayer lemon sauce, pomegranate seeds and tiny mint leaves was a wonderful appetizer.

 
 





 
The halibut with morels and the tiniest potatoes you've ever seen was delicious and perfectly cooked. My friend, Susan, had the tuna tartare (wonderful!), the seared scallops (delish) and we shared the wine and oysters, confidences and laughter.
 
One of the best New York meals I've ever had!

 
Bergdorf Goodman is only around the corner from Marea and after all that eating we needed to digest. The fabled Department store is like a museum, in a way, with all the wonderful items they have on display, only with price tags. And what price tags!  




I love New York and I can't wait until the next time! Maybe I'll see you there!

Enjoy!

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment