Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Japanese Kimono-Metropolitan Museum of Art

It was the day I took my goddaughter out to lunch to celebrate her new job. We met at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where I used to take her as a little girl. It's a great place to go in the dead of winter, check your coat and walk around the galleries, getting lost down the long corridors in the vastness of the massive building.
I was there a little early and I decided to swing by the new Kimono exhibit in the serenely elegant Japanese wing of the Museum.
 I was greeted by these Japanese sculptures guarding the entrance of the wing.
 Then I had the pleasure of perusing the resplendent kimono on display.
 Lacquer implements that are a set with the kimono.
Kimono have a lot of hidden meanings and symbolism. They are very ceremonial garments and it takes careful observation and knowledge to understand the function and origin of each kimono.

 Panels painted with kimono clad ladies.
 Kimono inspired robes.





 The fountain in the Japanese wing.
 A photo of a Japanese couple on their wedding day.




Japanese culture and art always capture my attention. There's a certain understated elegance that appeals to me. The kimono's exhibit, as you can see, did not disappoint. I was happy I had a few minutes to spare to enjoy such a rich heritage.
Enjoy!

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment