Saturday, August 15, 2015

Greek Farmers' Market Fish Recipe

As you may have guessed by now, there isn't a Farmers' Market I don't like! Wherever I am traveling, even if I am not cooking, I enjoy visiting a local Farmers' Market.

In Greece, the Farmers' Market is called "Laiki," meaning, for the people.The produce is fresher, cheaper and there's a wide variety. The Markets run throughout the year selling whatever is in season and travel from neighborhood to neighborhood and people shop for the entire week.
This week, at the Wednesday Market in the nearby town of Anavyssos, we bought this wonderful fish called Kefalos.
As we walked through the stalls we came upon the one pictured above. We saw the three large fish and decided to try them. We bought a one kilo(about 2 lbs) and had then clean it for us. I'd never cooked this fish before, but I figured that if I used my tried and true oven-roasted fish recipe I couldn't go wrong!
 The stalls are full of fresh, local fish that people either bake, grill or fry.
 I brought our fish home and rinsed it well and dried it with paper towels.
I scored the top(only the skin) and placed it on aluminum foil. I drizzled some extra virgin Greek olive oil on top and bottom and slathered it over the entire fish. I placed it in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the flesh is flaky. You can check it with a fork through the splits in the skin.
In the meantime, while the fish is cooking, cut two large potatoes into 1-2 inch squares and place them in boiling water to cook for about 15 minutes or until soft. Drain the potatoes and reserve half a cup of the water. Place the potatoes in a bowl, add the juice of one lemon, the reserved water, a quarter cup of extra virgin Greek olive oil, a tablespoon or more of chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all together.
Also, place in boiling water a half dozen small zucchini with the flower still attached, until the fork goes through them effortlessly. Dress with fresh lemon juice, extra virgin Greek olive oil and sea salt.

Your meal is now ready to serve. Plate the fish, the potatoes and the zucchini and cut some think slices of bread. Add a glass of chilled white wine and dig in!

Enjoy!

Maria

1 comment:

  1. I personally do not like to serve potatoes with fish but my kids love it, Your recipe is very cool, I will surely try it, thank you for sharing
    Baked Cod Fish Recipes

    ReplyDelete