Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Brocante Part II

Five circa 1912 volumes of Charles Dickens' stories
 
Growing up in the city, I never experienced a yard sale or garage sale like they have in the suburbs. My foray into antiques comprised of early Saturday morning expeditions to a parking lot on Sixth Ave and 25th Street that became transformed into a sprawling Antiques Market on the weekends. You paid a dollar admission and then you were in Junk heaven.

I used to browse as many stalls as I could and then carefully selected  my purchase. Money was tight in those days and I tried to keep my expenses down. I always bought something that was useful (what? jewelry is useful!!)

One of my favorite pastimes when I moved to the country was to visit yard sales in the spring. It was such a novel experience and, of course, I'm like an anthropologist. By browsing the detritus of people's lives, I paint a picture of those lives in my head. The books they read are telling signs, the discarded fishing poles, ice skating boots, gardening tools, knitting needles and yarns, all pieces to the puzzle of what constitutes a life.

Here's a few more pieces from my latest treasure hunt:

Set of three vintage L E Smith Moon and Star Amber glass canisters
 
Vintage Kanawha Milk Glass Vase
 
Enjoy!
 
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment