Monday, December 9, 2013

Zucchini Bread

One of the first recipes that I brought with me to Greece when we bought our apartment was for "Zucchini Bread". There is an abundance of fresh, crisp, flavorful zucchini and I don't know why the Greeks don't make zucchini bread with them. So, I thought I might introduce them to it.

I found it amusing to tell friends and relatives in Greece that the breads contained zucchini after they had tasted them. They were really surprised that they tasted so good and they couldn't taste the vegetable in them.

This is a good, low fat recipe, making two big loaves. One to eat and one to gift. Or just eat the whole lot yourself!


Ingredients:
1 cupUnsweetened Applesauce
½ cupSugar
½ cupBrown Sugar
3Eggs, slightly beaten
2 tspBaking Soda
½ tspBaking Powder
2 tspLemon Zest
2 cupsGrated Zucchini
3 cupsAll-purpose Flour


Directions:
Mix the eggs, sugars, applesauce and lemon zest. Stir together dry ingredients and add to the applesauce mixture. Squeeze excess water from grated zucchini and stir into batter. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until done. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove and cool on rack. Makes two loaves.
You can substitute vanilla as a flavoring.

 I couldn't find applesauce in Greece so  I cut up a large peach and added that to the batter.





Enjoy!
 
Maria
 

No comments:

Post a Comment