Saturday, March 28, 2015

Salad March Madness

March is almost over and spring is nowhere in sight in New Jersey. I bought these lovely tulips to brighten up the cloudy day.
And, since we all know that those extra pounds I put on over the winter are not coming off by magic, I want to share with you the salads I've started making for lunch. What I love about salads is that you can put in anything you have in the fridge. In this colorful one you see here, I cut up a cup of lettuce for the base, half an avocado, a cup of ripe papaya, half a red beet, some sugar snaps and baby carrots and walnuts. I added a chiffonade of basil and, of course, extra virgin Greek olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also always like to add some freshly ground pepper on top.

Remember that you can add in your salad anything that's sitting in your fridge. I've added cooked pasta, rice, leftover sweet potatoes, fish, chicken, apples, celery. These are just some ideas for your own, personalized March Madness salad!
The next salad I made this week was a chickpea salad. I usually try to include at least some protein in my lunch salad because the protein will keep me from getting hungry until dinnertime.
 My friend Joanne came by that day and we shared this tasty and healthy salad.
Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. Chop half an onion, add half a cup of chopped fresh parsley, a 1/4 cup sliced pitted black olives and dress with lemon and extra virgin Greek olive oil. Invite a friend and share!
I served my chickpea salad with, of course, Stelios' multigrain bread and some Greek brined anchovies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment