Sunday, October 25, 2015

Prickly Pears, Figs and the Bounty of the Greek Country Side

Some of the most succulent fruit of the Greek countryside ripens in August while I'm there.
The abundance of figs right off the tree in the morning...

or prickly pears picked off a cactus bush in an abandoned lot...
 can make me weep!!
 I learned how to clean the prickly pears as a child from my grandfather
and I can't wait until the fruit is ready to be picked, cleaned and eaten!
I had my fill this summer and these photographs make me very nostalgic for the season past.

The mountains of perfectly ripe tomatoes,

beautiful eggplant,
day old eggs,
fish,

and colorful grapes made my stay in Greece delicious and colorful.
Varieties of olives and fish show me that biodiversity is alive and well in Greece.
Here's to a tasty summer and looking forward to a beautiful fall!

Enjoy!

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment