Saturday, March 23, 2013

Author Ian McEwen at Hunter College

Last night I drove into the City(that's Manhattan) to see author Ian McEwen at Hunter College. Peter Carey, the Exec Director of  the Masters in Fine Arts program and a twice-over Man Booker Prize -winner, and he, were having a talk. Of course, Ian McEwen is the Man Booker Prize-winner author of Atonement, a best selling novel that was made into a blockbuster movie.

An hour after I left home I pulled into a parking garage on 67th and Lex.
I haven't been back to my Alma Mater in years and it was strange navigating the campus security(new), the buildings(new) and all the young faces(were we ever so young?) Up in the 8th-floor faculty room, the 200 hundred strong crowd teemed with excitement. The NYC skyline with the Chrysler building's distinct silhouette, greeted me through the bank of large windows. Esme, the young writer I sat next to, was eager to hear him speak. She writes short essays and her goal is to submit, submit, submit. You go Esme!

The gold nugget that I came away with from McEwen's interesting talk:

"Fondle the details." Love it!

I believe he was para-quoting(is that a word?) Vladimir Nabokov who said: "In reading, one should notice and fondle the details."

I bought his new book, "Sweet Tooth," and went up for an autograph. When I said I was from New Jersey he asked if I had attended Philip Roth's 80th B'day party in Newark.  Alas, I had not received my invitation!

Maria




No comments:

Post a Comment