Sunday, March 31, 2013

Felling The Great Red Maple

As the first rays of the sun shone on the great red maple, I said my goodbyes. I thanked it for its shade, I thanked it for its beauty and its strength, for filtering the air for me to breath, for holding the soil from eroding with it's roots.

Today we would take the great maple down. The tree that stood by my window everyday since I've lived here and everyday for decades when I didn't live here, was going to be no more.
Anthony Battinelli tying the limbs to the crane.
 
The crane lifts the top of the maple

The red maple is brought to the ground for cutting.
 
I felt a great sadness that this old giant would be no more. We consulted many experts. The tree had a hole in the top and it's root system was exposed. It leaned in the direction of the house. Set so close to the house, we were afraid that it would fall over our roof. We didn't have a choice. It was a hard decision that filled me with sadness.

Goodbye great tree!

Thank you to Heather Caldwell for the photos. Good job!


No comments:

Post a Comment