Thursday, March 21, 2013

Behold the delicious Shaksuka!

 I had stopped buying cookbooks for years. When my niece, Barbara, and I discussed co writing a Cyprus Cookbook to gather the recipes of our family and our heritage and share them with others, I bought yet one more cookbook. That's because JERUSALEM came along. Beautifully put together, a really exceptional book, from the cushy front cover to the photography, the recipes and the superbly handled sensitive cultural narrative. This was the kind of cookbook I aspired to.


I brought it home and wanted to try every recipe. My favorite so far is the Shakshuka recipe. It's a spicy tomato, red pepper sauce that's all the rage in Jerusalem!
Well, guess what, it's all the rage in New Jersey now too!
I have found new ways to incorporate it in my cooking beyond poaching eggs in it, as in the original recipe. I've used it to poach fillets of delicate fish like flounder, cook succulent chicken thighs, top beer crusted pizzas and just plain top anything that I may be preparing!

Makes enough for 4 servings.
I recommend doubling the recipe and refrigerating or freezing the rest. You won't regret it!

Shakshuka
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp harissa
2 tsp tomato paste
2 large red peppers diced into 1/4 inch
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
5 cups chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tspdried  oregano
2 tbsp olive oil




 
Heat the oil in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the harissa, tomato paste, peppers, garlic, cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes until the peppers become soft.





Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining olive oil and the oregano. Simmer 5 more minutes. You should have a thick, chunky sauce.


Voila! Before you can say Shaksuka, your sauce is done. If you want to poach fish fillets(substitute chicken, shrimp, scallops, eggs) just make indentations in the sauce and gently slip in your food of choice. Cover the saucepan and place in a 350F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Check for doneness. Your dinner is ready!

I've added some things to suit my tastes such as extra olive oil and oregano(So Greek!), so if there's something you want to add, by all means feel free.

Enjoy!

Maria

2 comments:

  1. Oh Maria - I really want to get this cookbook!! its been all over the press over here and has had some great reviews! I also saw on of his TV shows and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great cookbook! I've made a couple of recipes from it and they work really well. In addition, I love the sensitive way the authors dealt with the Israeli -Palestinian issue. It resonates with me because I also come from a war-torn country with similar issues. I see myself writing a Cyprus cookbook in the same fashion.

    ReplyDelete