Saturday, April 6, 2013

Brocante: French for second hand goods or in other words: junk!

One of my favorite pastimes is browsing at garage sales. What is it about old things that attracts me? Maybe it's because we lost everything after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus. In other people's old belongings I see the memories my family and I lost with all of ours. Where I see a story, a history about where an item was made, how it was used, how long ago, the materials used in making it, my husband just sees junk!

This morning I passed by an Estate Sale in my neighborhood. I vowed not to buy anything I didn't need, but that went out the window as soon as I saw this beautiful Turkey platter. It's a wonderful mid century(all that means is that it's from around the fifties) thanksgiving platter made in California. It's in great shape and I can imagine all the years it has spent serving family Thanksgiving dinners.

Let me show off the rest of my little finds!
These little knives and forks are great for appetizers! They're marked stainless steel Japan.

Lacquer Christmas tray! Made in Japan. I love everything made in Japan. They are such craftsmen!

What about the gravy ladle? Don't you love the shape and color!


My downfall is books. I can't resist buying old books. Old illustrated books. I think eventually there will be no more room in my office for me. Too many books, so little space!
 
Be Well
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment