Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Akrocorinth - Greece

I was recently reading Lord Byron's "The Siege of Corinth," and I remembered that I had visited the walled city built at the top of a mountain in the Peloponnese just this past September for the first time.
Akrocorinth blends in with the surrounding landscape

It was a rare overcast day







View of the city of Corinth and the Corinthian bay





I always imagine the people who may have lived in these ancient cities.

I see them riding up on horseback, I hear the clicking of the horseshoes on the cobblestones, I see the guard waving them through the gate. 




Views of the surrounding countryside

The Walls



It's a long walk up to the fort, see the parking lot below.










The highway runs past the ancient ruins that rise majestically as a crown over the mountain. We always meant to detour for a visit but we were always in a hurry. Last September on our way to Saronida from Poulithra (see my Poulithra post)we made a point of stopping at the famed location.

History tells us that AcroCorinth was a city with many lives through the centuries. The one Lord Byron writes of is the Siege of Corinth in 1715, when the Ottomans slaughtered the Venetian garrison during the Ottoman-Venetian war.


History is palpable here and the visitor can see why this was such an important fort. There are 360 degree views of the surrounding area.


Enjoy!
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment