Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Best Greek Chickpea Soup

While I was in Greece in the winter of 2014, I had a bowl of chickpea soup that knocked my socks off.




A simple dish, yet full of complex flavor and texture.

I've been thinking about that soup ever since. I scoured the internet for a Greek Chickpea soup recipe but nothing I found satisfied me. Until this week when I came upon this fabulous recipe that comes pretty close to the one I had in Greece.


 
(serves 6)
2 cups of dry chick peas
1/2 cup of olive oil

2 large onions, diced

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 carrot, finely diced

1 stalk of celery, finely diced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 lemon, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

wedge of lemon and dried Greek oregano for garnish
  1. The night before, place your dried chickpeas in a bowl with the baking soda and enough water to cover the chickpeas by about 2 inches. The next morning, strain and rinse your chickpeas and reserve.
  2. Into a large pot, add your olive oil over medium heat and throw in your onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, thyme and paprika and parsley and simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes for the vegetables to soften.
  3. Now add your chickpeas, parsley, stock and slices of lemon bring to a boil and simmer medium-low heat with the lid slightly ajar for 2-3 hours or until thick the chickpeas are fork-tender.. By this time you should have a thick, chunky chick pea soup with some liquid still evident.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, serve in bowls. Add some dried Greek oregano and serve with a wedge of lemon.






Enjoy!

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment